Tuesday, May 13, 2014

104.5 Summer Concert Series @ The Piazza: Phantogram, CHVRCHES and Cherub

The Start of the Day
The sun was shining on Saturday, May 3 and spirits were just as high as the temperature. I could quickly tell that it was going to be a great day in Northern Liberties even if I hadn’t started the trek that way just yet.

After meeting up with the two friends I was attending the free concert with, we started towards the subway. It turned out the subways were swarmed with people and there was not an inch to spare in the tight, sardine-like transportation method. A minor setback, we made it to the Spring Garden stop in one piece. It’s just a quick walk from the station to the Piazza.

PYT
We arrived at about 2:15. The show didn’t begin until 3:45 but people were already forming a crowd in front of the large stage. We decided to grab a beer from the restaurant, PYT that is right in the heart of the Piazza. I’ve never been to PYT but have been dying to go so needless to say; I was excited about this decision. We ended up eating at PYT as well, which is a topic for another post.
           
The Show
The show had already started by the time we wrapped up at PYT so we scooted our way through the crowd that had grown significantly since our time inside of the restaurant. The first band to play was CHVRCHES and while I had never really listened to them prior, they were quite good. Their energy was contagious and made you want to dance so that’s what we did. After they wrapped up, a DJ took their place as they set up for the next act. Inside of the crowd, a 21 and older section allowed you to buy and enjoy a variety of domestic beer and a refreshing cocktail that resembled pink lemonade.

The next band to play was Cherub and again, I wasn’t very familiar with them except one of their songs. However, they were very fun and energetic as well, no matter if I knew the words to their songs or not! The next band to play was Phantogram; the one I had been waiting for. I just recently became a fan of them and I was excited to see them live so shortly after. And they were awesome. They delivered to the fullest extent and were just super fun. The only setback of the day was the bathroom break where the swarm of people was way more hectic than the actual concert itself.


The whole day was a blast and I encourage everyone to check out the rest of the 104.5 Summer Concert series held every month until September. I’d love to hear what everyone else though of the first show!

No comments:

Post a Comment